15th March 2019 - Nature Kindergarten Day (Fowlis Wester)
Date: Friday, 15th March 2019
Time: 10:30 – 14:30
Venue: Fowlis Wester Village Hall, Fowlis Wester, Nr Crieff, PH7 3NL
Auchlone Nature Kindergarten is an award winning early years centre in Perthshire where children spend over 85% of their time outdoors. By visiting Auchlone and learning exploring the ethos and methodology of a nature kindergarten as defined by Claire Warden, you will be able to improve your own practice inside, outside, and beyond! This course will be delivered via powerpoint presentation and will also include a visit to Auchlone Nature Kindergarten where you can explore the site and ask questions.
We will address practical issues linked to an outdoor education on a daily basis to help you develop outdoor learning in your practice. You will also get an insight into how we use Floorbooks to support our practice. We will then explore how you can implement parts of the nature kindergarten ethos into your own practice to create authentic and rich learning experiences and to improve your practice.
This course is not only ideal for people looking to set up an outdoor learning centre or those who currently work in one, but is also for educators who wish to begin intertwining nature into all forms of learning whether they are in a rural or urban setting. Develop the way that you engage with the natural environment.
- To explore the origins and approach of Nature Kindergartens internationally and to look at the methodology behind nature education as defined by Claire Warden
- To be able to plan for a relevant nature space in consultation with children
- To look at the layout and day-to-day operation of an outdoor learning environment
- To explore how the Nature Kindergarten methodology can be implemented in any kind of setting or practice.
You will be able to:
- Implement aspects of Nature Kindergarten practice to your setting
- Record and evidence children’s learning using nature as a mechanism to cover the whole curriculum
- Create natural spaces inside and out, establishing rich learning environments
“Amazing, a total eye-opener!” - Nursery Manager, May 2017